Going Digital For Assessing and Managing Patients with Diabetic Foot Ulcers
NHS High Impact Innovations Case Study, March 2013 , NHS Innovations website
The Kings College Hospital Diabetic Foot Clinic share their early adopter experience with an electronic wound assessment system (Silhouette, ARANZ Medical) in the assessment and management of diabetic foot ulcers. The team outlines their findings on the clinical value and ease of use of the system in the first stage of deployment.
This case study has been produced in collaboration with Maureen Bates, Podiatry Manager, Diabetic Foot Clinic at Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Barlow Respiratory Hospital is a long-term acute care (LTAC) facility in Los Angeles, US. The case study outlines how an electronic wound assessment and information management system (Silhouette, ARANZ Medical) has enabled the organisation to improve skin assessment and documentation of wounds and wound healing outcomes and streamline documentation workload.
Joan Lerner Selekof et al, Poster, SAWC Spring 2014, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland
The clinical team at University of Maryland Medical Centre outline their use of digital photography and 3D laser measurement, initially for pressure ulcer assessment and documentation.
Sylvie Hampton, Cathie Bree-Aslan, Debby Verrall, Eastbourne Wound Healing Centre Evaluation Report, December 2011
Please note the SilhouetteMobile product featured in this report is now replaced by the 2nd generation SilhouetteStar+SilhouetteConnect wound assessment device.
1. The Smith and Nephew Foundation: Skin Breakdown – The Silent Epidemic. Posnett J, Franks P.J. (2007). The cost of skin breakdown and ulceration in the UK. Smith and Nephew Foundation, Hull.
2. The resource costs of wound care in Bradford and Airedale primary care trust in the UK. Vowden K, Vowden P, Posnett J. (2009). Journal of Wound Care; 18: 93- 102.
3. The need for EU standards in wound care: an Irish survey. Moore Z, Cowan S. (2005). Wounds UK, 1(1): 20-8.Published evidence and case studies that support the value of digital capture of wound data at point-of-care to improve safety, effectiveness and efficiency of nursing care for wound management pathways:
Silhouette – UK setting
4. Going Digital, case study of early adopter experience with Silhouette, Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Diabetic Foot Clinic, London, UK.
M.Bates, March 2013, Online Case Study Publication, NHS High Impact Innovations Showcase.
5. The use of electronic data capture devices in wound care settings. J.Fletcher, Wounds UK 2012, Vol 8, No 4
6. Experience of Silhouette, a new wound assessment and information system, in clinical practice.
S Hampton et al. Evaluation Report Eastbourne Wound Healing Centre, December 2011.
Silhouette – US setting
7. Nursing home can prove high quality wound care
St Clare Nursing Home, Newport, Rhode Island, US, April 2014, ARANZ Medical case study.
8. Pressure Ulcer Management case study
Barlow Respiratory Hospital, Long Term Acute Care Facility, Los Angeles, US, October 2013, ARANZ Medical case study.
Silhouette – 3D measurement accuracy and repeatability
9. Assessment of accuracy and repeatability on wound models of a new hand-held electronic wound measurement device.
M.Nixon, R.R. Thomas,R.Brent, Poster Presentation, Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, Spring Conference, US, 2012
There is wide recognition that wound assessment practice and wound outcomes show variability across the UK (1,2,3). We have a Silhouette virtual workshop available online to show you how digital wound assessment and information management solution can support better clinical practice and patient care.
The Silhouette system is an integrated solution comprising three key components: the SilhouetteStar camera, SilhouetteConnect wound assessment software and SilhouetteCentral information database.
A number of Silhouette case studies are available which discuss user experience and the value of adoption of digital wound assessment for the management of patients with chronic wounds including diabetic foot ulcers, pressure ulcers and leg ulcers.
Silhouette provides organisations with an integrated electronic wound assessment and information management system to support improved clinical management of patients with wounds.
Further information on Silhouette packages available, pricing structure, making a business case for investment and funding sources.